Top 10 Smartphones With A Dedicated Depth Sensor Camera To Capture Perfect Bokeh Shots
While buying a new smartphone, most people place the camera quality as one of the highest priorities. With technology becoming more reachable to customers, almost every new smartphone now comes with a multiple-camera setup on the rear to support portrait mode. However, despite two or even three cameras we’ve seen some examples of failed edge detection, a dedicated depth sensor can greatly help resolve this issue and give better results.
Highlights of the Story
- Most smartphones come with multiple rear cameras to enable portrait mode, ultra-wide and telephoto shots
- There are two types of depth sensors: ToF sensor or a depth-sensing camera
- A ToF sensor can create a 3D map of the scanned area and create a depth map in real-time
Over the past few years, smartphone cameras have become extremely promising. New smartphones these days come with high-resolution cameras capable of shooting videos in 4K and even 8K HDR, however, the one thing missing from these smartphones until recent times was the Bokeh effect produced by the large sensor and lens on a DSLR.
In the past few years, an increased number of smartphones have started coming with a dual-camera setup allowing them to get a perception of depth in a photo and apply a software bokeh to the image.
While this can look great in some cases, it can be a massive failure in some attempts. With further advancements in smartphone cameras, new devices are coming with a dedicated depth sensor to better track the depth in a particular scene and apply the software bokeh accordingly.
These are mainly of two types, either a dedicated ToF (Time of Flight) sensor or a depth-sensing camera. In this article, we check out the top 10 smartphones in the market right now that have a dedicated depth sensor.
Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra
The Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra comes with one of the best camera setups in the market right now, the device not only has a 108MP primary sensor but also comes with a 48MP periscope lens that supports 10x hybrid optical zoom or a total of 100x overall zoom.
The smartphone also comes with a 0.3MP TOF 3D sensor with an f/1.0 aperture for depth sensing. A ToF or Time of Flight sensor allows devices to map the image with a 3D depth and offers depth detection for a better bokeh effect.
The smartphone is powered by the Exynos 990 chipset and comes with 16GB of RAM and 512GB internal storage in the highest-end variant. The device is a total powerhouse and offers one of the best optics for both photography and videography, the Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra is one of the few smartphones with support for 8K HDR video.
- Comes with a ToF sensor for mapping the depth in 3D
- Excellent overall optics with a 108MP primary camera
- Additional 48MP sensor with 10X Hybrid Optical zoom as a periscope
- Support for video recording in 8K HDR
Price: Samsung Galaxy S20(Rs 66,990) Galaxy S20+(Rs 73,990), and Galaxy S20 Ultra (Rs 92,999)
Huawei P30 Pro
Huawei has been known for their camera equipment for a while now, the Huawei P30 Pro comes with a 40MP primary sensor with an f/1.6 aperture. The device also has an 8MP periscope lens with a 5x optical zoom and a 20MP ultra-wide lens. Along with these three primary sensors, the device also boasts a ToF 3D sensor for depth detection. This TOF sensor is similar to the one seen on the Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra and allows the smartphone to map the image in 3D depth to apply bokeh across the image in the smoothest and most realistic way possible. The device is powered by their HiSilicon Kirin 980 chipset and has up to 8GB RAM and 512GB internal storage.
Also Read: Huawei P30 Pro Review
- Uses a dedicated TOF sensor for detection of depth in 3D while capturing an image
- Comes with a dedicated 5x Optical zoom periscope lens
- Has a high-resolution 40MP primary sensor with an f/1.6 aperture
Price: Rs 56,490
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
The Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ comes with a quad-camera setup, the primary sensor has a resolution of 12MP, there is an additional 12MP telephoto lens and a 16MP ultra-wide lens. The Note 10 Plus also comes with a 0.3MP TOF 3D depth sensor similar to the Galaxy S20 Ultra smartphone to analyze the depth in 3D while capturing an image or video. This helps the device offer a better bokeh effect on the pictures captured. The smartphone is powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 chipset or the Exynos 9825 based on the region and has 12GB RAM and 512GB internal storage.
- Comes with a dedicated TOF Sensor for 3D depth detection for photo and video capture
- Good array of primary cameras
- Massive overall specs making it an all-rounder
Price: Rs 79,999
Realme X2 Pro
The Realme X2 Pro comes with a 64MP primary sensor, a 13MP telephoto lens, an 8MP ultra-wide lens and a 2MP dedicated depth sensor with an f/2.4 aperture. This smartphone uses a simple 2MP camera as a depth sensor instead of the more complicated 3D TOF sensor, this camera can only analyze depth in 2D but still works pretty well and improves the depth or bokeh effect in the photos. The smartphone is powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 855+ processor and has up to 12GB of RAM and 256GB of internal storage.
Also Read: Realme X2 Pro Review
- Uses a simple 2MP depth sensor without 3D sensing ability
- Comes with a 64MP primary sensor along with the additional telephoto and ultra-wide lens
- Offers unmatched specs for the price point with the top of the notch processor
Price: Rs 27,999
Samsung Galaxy A71
The Samsung Galaxy A71 comes with a 64MP primary camera with an f/1.8 aperture, there is an additional 12MP ultra-wide sensor. The smartphone also has a 5MP macro lens and an additional 5MP depth sensor. This is a traditional depth-sensing camera and uses 2D depth sensing for bokeh effects. The device is powered by the Snapdragon 730 chipset and comes with 8GB RAM and 128GB internal storage.
- Uses a 64MP primary sensor and a 12MP ultra-wide lens for primary captures
- Comes with a dedicated 5MP lens for macro shots allowing you to get close to the objects
- Offers a higher resolution 5MP depth sensor for more details and better bokeh effect
Price: Rs 29,999
Xiaomi Poco X2
The Xiaomi Poco X2 is the second smartphone from the brand following the very successful Poco F1. The device comes with a 64MP primary sensor, there is an additional 8MP ultra-wide lens and a 2MP macro lens along with the 2MP depth sensor. The dedicated macro lens allows users to get up close to the objects while capturing the images and the dedicated 2MP depth sensor allows real-time depth detection for a better bokeh effect in the images. The smartphone is powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 730 processor and comes with up to 8GB RAM and 256GB storage.
Also Read: POCO X2 Review
- Comes with a 64MP primary camera for high resolution captures
- Uses an 8MP ultra-wide to get a higher field of view
- The 2MP macro camera allows users to get very close to the object
- The 2MP depth sensor enables better bokeh shots
Price: Rs 16,999
- Finally IPL 2020 is around the corner. After all the uncertainties because of this Covid-19 pandemic situation, the 13th edition of the Indian Premier League is ready to hit the ground. It's really good news to the cricket fans from every corner of the globe. People are searching for different streaming platforms to watch IPL online. Here we have provided 5 best platforms to stream IPL from mobile.
- Here are a few tips, tricks and hacks to play Garena Free Fire which will make you forget PubG.
- Sitting at the comfort of home, learn how you can change the battery of your OnePlus smartphone at home.
- If you are searching for a new smartphone, there are various features to look for, that you should consider while purchasing. In terms of internal specifications and exterior designs, smartphones have come a long way. While choosing a smartphone, one of the hard choices to make apart from other specifications is the smartphone body. Here…
- In this era, smartphones have grown to be an essential part of our lives but purchasing a perfect smartphone is a tedious process. Apart from other features, when it comes to buying a smartphone based on its display, a variety of displays are available in the market across a wide range of smartphones and it’s…
- Samsung Galaxy M31s is a new addition to the Monster M-series by Samsung with large battery life and great overall performance.
- The Redmi Note 9 Pro/Pro Max is a premium-looking phone with a good camera and battery.
- Vivo X50 is a mid-range smartphone with an ultimate camera performance.