We are dealing with an extreme climate emergency and it’s not hidden from anyone. That is why, every year on June 5, World Environment Day is celebrated with the purpose to make the world aware of the ongoing climate situation and how people can contribute to making it better. While there is no denying that technology has shaped our lives for the better, do you know the same technology can help us live more sustainably? You might wonder how?
We spend so much of our time on smartphones. Why not use some of that time to save the planet? Confused? Well, here’s the thing- there is a lot that you can do with your smartphones in contributing to the climate and nature. All you need is to know about certain sustainability apps. In this article, we will discuss the best sustainability apps available in 2022 that you can make use of for a greener life. So, let’s get started.
What is Sustainable Living?
Sustainable living means making choices that can help us reduce our carbon footprint and use the Earth’s resources in a way that the environmental damage is minimized. You can adopt sustainable living by making small changes in your lifestyle choices.
5 Sustainability Apps You Must Know In 2022
It all starts with the small changes you can make today that will positively impact the planet tomorrow. Thanks to technology, it’s not that tedious to start living sustainably today. Here, have a look at our top choices for sustainability apps and take your stand for World Environment Day.
Second-hand shopping is also a way to promote sustainable living. Thredup is an online consignment and thrift store that solves the fashion waste crisis by rejecting throwaway fashion culture and embracing thrifting. So basically, Thredup lets users buy second-hand clothing or sell clothes they no longer need or wear. What’s more- the company also supports the growth of the circular economy. There is a lot to explore on the site with frequent sales and discounted prices. You must check out this one of the best sustainable apps.
- A wide selection of secondhand clothes: thredUP has a huge selection of secondhand clothes, shoes, and accessories from over 35,000 brands. You can find everything from high-end designer labels to affordable basics.
- Convenient shopping experience: thredUP makes it easy to shop for secondhand clothes. You can browse by category, brand, or size. You can also create a style profile so that thredUP can recommend items that you’re likely to like.
- Transparent pricing: thredUP prices its items based on a variety of factors, including the brand, condition, and demand. You can always see the original retail price of an item, so you know you’re getting a good deal.
- Easy returns: If you’re not happy with an item you purchase from thredUP, you can return it for free.
- Sustainable practices: thredUP is committed to sustainability. The company donates unsold items to charity and recycles the materials from items that cannot be resold.
iHuerting is the best sustainable app for plant lovers. The app has a worldwide user base of around 50,000 people and helps them take care of their gardens. iHuerting is more like a handheld personalized expert. iHuerting reminds its users to water and fertilize their plants, helps identify the pests and provides tips for growing an amazing garden. iHuerting has an extensive plant database with an excellent user experience to make gardening more fun. The app takes the help of smartphone notifications to keep the users updated. The aim of the aim is to contribute toward making the world greener.
- Plant library: The app has a library of over 1,000 different plants, including vegetables, fruits, herbs, and flowers. You can browse the library by type of plant, difficulty level, or climate.
- Plant care guide: The app provides detailed care instructions for each plant, including watering, fertilizing, and pest control.
- Growing calendar: The app helps you plan your garden by providing a growing calendar for each plant. The calendar tells you when to plant, sow, transplant, and harvest each plant.
- Weather forecast: The app provides a weather forecast for your location so you can water your plants accordingly.
- Pest and disease identification: The app can help you identify pests and diseases that are affecting your plants.
- Community forum: The app has a community forum where you can ask questions and get help from other gardeners.
- Planting tracker: The app allows you to track the progress of your plants, so you can see how they are doing and make adjustments to your care routine as needed.
Olio is focused on tackling the massive food and water crisis that the world is facing today. The app allows users to list items on the apps that can be made available for pick up by others. Users can simply browse through the app, check their nearby available listings and request pick-up of certain items. These items could be anything from unsold cakes at a bakery to the extra left food in the restaurant. Olio connects the neighbours and the local businesses with each other and provides the chance to share the surplus and unused food items instead of throwing them away.
- Food sharing: Olio is a food-sharing app that connects neighbors with each other and with local businesses so surplus food can be shared, not thrown away. You can give away food that you no longer need, or you can find food that you need for free.
- Non-food items: Olio also allows you to share non-food items, such as clothes, furniture, and household goods. This is a great way to declutter your home and give your unwanted items a new home.
- Community: Olio has a strong community of users who are passionate about reducing food waste and promoting sustainability. You can connect with other users in your area and get involved in local food projects.
- Easy to use: Olio is easy to use and free to download. You can create an account in minutes and start sharing food and other items right away.
- Secure: Olio is a secure platform that protects your privacy. All transactions are made through the app, so you don’t have to worry about meeting up with strangers.
How cool is it that you can help in planting trees by just browsing the web? Well, it is possible with Ecosia. Ecosia is a free browser extension that utilizes the profits made by the user searches in planting trees in the area that needs them the most. Users just have to download this extension and do their regular web searching. The extension shows ads and uses the income generated by those ads to plant trees. By far, Ecosia has planted over 145 million trees in different areas.
- Plants trees: Ecosia plants trees with the revenue it generates from its search engine. So far, it has planted over 1 billion trees.
- Private: Ecosia doesn’t track your searches or collect your personal data.
- Transparent: Ecosia is transparent about how it uses its money. You can see exactly how much money is going to tree planting and other projects.
- Affordable: Ecosia is a free search engine. You can use it without having to pay anything.
- Easy to use: Ecosia is easy to use. It works just like any other search engine.
What started with some passionate cyclists sharing their favourite routes has now become the world’s biggest user-generated cycling route collection. The aim of the app is to help cyclists with the best suitable routes according to their needs. So, with Bikemap, users have a massive database just in their pocket. What’s more- cycling helps in reducing greenhouse gas emissions, helps in improving air quality, minimises noise pollution and makes way for green development.
- Route planning: Bikemap allows you to plan routes for cycling. You can choose the start and end point of your route, as well as the route difficulty and length. Bikemap will then suggest a route that meets your criteria.
- Live tracking: Bikemap allows you to track your rides in real-time. This is a great way to stay safe and to make sure that you are on track.
- Community: Bikemap has a large community of cyclists. You can connect with other cyclists, share routes, and get advice.
- Offline maps: Bikemap allows you to download maps for offline use. This is a great way to use Bikemap when you don’t have an internet connection.
- Customization: Bikemap allows you to customize your maps and routes. You can choose the map style, the route difficulty, and the route length.
- Awards: Bikemap has a rewards program. You can earn points for completing rides, exploring new places, and sharing routes.
6. Too Good To Go
“Too Good To Go” is not just an app; it’s a movement, a revolution against food waste, and a solution for environmentally conscious consumers and businesses alike. In a world where one-third of all food produced goes to waste, this innovative mobile application has emerged as a beacon of hope, connecting people with surplus food from restaurants, cafes, bakeries, and supermarkets. With its mission to rescue delicious, perfectly edible food that would otherwise end up in landfills, “Too Good To Go” is changing the way we think about food and our impact on the planet.
- Surprise bags: Too Good To Go connects users with local businesses that have unsold food at the end of the day. Users can purchase surprise bags of food at a discounted price. The contents of the surprise bags vary depending on the day and the participating business.
- Map view: The app shows a map of all the participating businesses in the user’s area. Users can filter the map by type of business, such as restaurants, bakeries, or supermarkets.
- Time slots: Businesses post the surprise bags on the app a few hours before they are available for pickup. Users can choose a time slot to pick up their surprise bag.
- Community: Too Good To Go has a community forum where users can share tips, tricks, and experiences. The community is a great resource for learning more about the app and for finding other users in the area.
- Sustainability: Too Good To Go is committed to reducing food waste. The app helps businesses to reduce the amount of food that they throw away, and it helps users to save money and eat more sustainably.
As you can see, the tiniest things have a big impact on the world we live in. Going green and being eco-friendly are easier than you would think, particularly if you have the necessary tools.
You may alter your daily routine and enhance your behavior by using the apps mentioned above to make sure you’re protecting the environment. Select your favorites and begin using them right now.