Cashify Explains: Difference Between Lithium-Ion And Lithium Polymer Batteries?
The lithium-ion batteries have always been there and used as the primary source of power-cell in old technologies. However, new and advanced technologies are demanding and using lithium-polymer batteries. We have established the critical differences between these two and which one’s more suitable for what.
Highlights of the Story
- Lithium-Ion batteries have traditionally being used for smartphones and portable gadgets.
- The newer lithium-polymer (Li-poly) batteries are a suitable alternative to Lithium-ion batteries.
- Here we discuss Why Li-poly batteries are more in use with newer advanced technologies
When you are out shopping for your much-awaited gadgets you must have always checked the battery capacity and the weather it has a great battery life or not. We have always believed, the bigger the battery capacity equals a better and long-lasting battery life. But that’s not always true and it depends on a lot of more factors as well.
There are two main types of batteries that do exist in the market right now, the one is Li-ion batteries that have traditionally been used in all our smartphones and portable gadgets. The other one, Lithium Polymer batteries are the ones that are used in most modern gadgets and most of the new flagship devices.
Also read: Top Camera Smartphones
However, there do exist some differences mainly being in terms of battery safety and longevity. Here are the detailed pointers that make Li-ion and Li-poly batteries different below:
What is a Li-ion battery?
Li-ion batteries have been used for a very long period of time and were and still are the choice of battery for all gadgets. This is due to the fact that these batteries are long-lasting, have a great energy density, and are comparably cheap to produce.
Li-ion or Lithium-ion batteries are rechargeable types of batteries that are highly portable. This is the reason why they are mostly used for electronic vehicles such as aerospace applications.
In these batteries, the positively charged lithium-ions are carried by electrolyte from the anode to the cathode and vice versa. Lithium-ion batteries are highly durable and are great for longevity, these batteries can last for about 2-3 years or 300-500 charge cycles.
Merits of Lithium-ion battery:
Now that we know the meaning of Li-ion batteries, let’s discuss what merits they have with the help of the following points –
As Lithium-Ion batteries have been used for a very long time, the cost of manufacturing the battery has reduced significantly and is much cheaper to implement a Li-ion battery for a portable gadget as these are readily available and costs much less.
2. High-Power Density
When compared with other battery types, lithium-ion batteries can store 3 to 4 times more charge compared to batteries of similar size. It makes it not only compatible but also efficient and robust to use in portable gadgets.
3. Battery Life
Lithium-ion batteries tend to last longer than most of the other battery types. They can last for about two to three years or maybe even more, or about 300-500 charge cycles.
Lithium-ion batteries are effortless to maintain and take care of as they do not require many complex processes for maintenance. Neither much effort nor much investment is needed to maintain lithium-ion batteries.
5. Constant voltage
Another benefit of lithium-ion batteries is that they are capable of maintaining a constant voltage. No matter how heavy the load or usage is, a Li-ion battery will successfully keep the voltage constant.
Demerits of Lithium-ion battery:
Demerits are bound to be present with merits. So, we have listed the few demerits of Li-ion batteries have that are as follows:
1. Efficiency decreases with time
Even though battery life is long-lasting, it is not the same throughout its period. Lithium-ion batteries tend to decrease in terms of capability and performance as time passes by.
These types of batteries are not suitable for extremely rough usages as they do not have much robust technology. As these batteries have liquid chemical electrolyte inside them, these batteries can get punctured easily with minimal force.
3. Unsafe at Higer Temperatures
At high temperatures, that is likely in cases for smartphones as the smartphones tend to overhat, the battery becomes unstable and can catch fire. Altough electronic controllers are used to regulate the temperature, still its quite unsafe to use these batteries in portable gadgets.
What is a Lithium Polymer battery?
The Lithium Polmer battery is another rechargeable kind of battery that uses a polymer electrolyte instead of a liquid electrolyte. This difference in choice creates lithium-poly batteries to be more efficient and safe for use.
The lithium polymer batteries are versatile in nature and therefore are available in different shapes and sizes. Most of the lithium-poly batteries are light-weighted.
Merits of Lithium-poly Battery:
Lithium polymer batteries come with numerous benefits. Some of the major merits of these kinds of batteries are as follows:
1. Extremely Safe
Lithium polymer batteries are incredibly safe to use. They have flexible packaging with aluminum that protects from any kind of explosion or hazardous situation.
2. Light-weighted (highly portable)
Lithium polymer batteries are highly portable, as they are very light weighted. It is because no heavy metal or liquid electrolyte is included in its making.
Also Read: Why Is My Phone’s Battery Draining So Fast?
3. Versatile in nature
Lithium polymer batteries are versatile in nature and available in different shapes and sizes. There is no limit in customizing its shape, and manufacturers take full advantage of that.
4. Low self-discharge level
Lithium polymer batteries are good with their dischargeable characteristics. They are efficient and functional with low self-discharge level. This means that the battery won’t discharge much when the battery is not in use.
5. Thin with huge capacity
Lithium polymer batteries are thin, which makes them highly compatible with mobile phone usages. They are available in thickness, even below 1 mm.
Even though they are thin, they have high capacities. They are 10-15% stronger and more capable than many of the other batteries of the same size.
Also read: Smartphone reviews
- Finally IPL 2020 is around the corner. After all the uncertainties because of this Covid-19 pandemic situation, the 13th edition of the Indian Premier League is ready to hit the ground. It's really good news to the cricket fans from every corner of the globe. People are searching for different streaming platforms to watch IPL online. Here we have provided 5 best platforms to stream IPL from mobile.
- Here are a few tips, tricks and hacks to play Garena Free Fire which will make you forget PubG.
- Sitting at the comfort of home, learn how you can change the battery of your OnePlus smartphone at home.
- If you are searching for a new smartphone, there are various features to look for, that you should consider while purchasing. In terms of internal specifications and exterior designs, smartphones have come a long way. While choosing a smartphone, one of the hard choices to make apart from other specifications is the smartphone body. Here…
- In this era, smartphones have grown to be an essential part of our lives but purchasing a perfect smartphone is a tedious process. Apart from other features, when it comes to buying a smartphone based on its display, a variety of displays are available in the market across a wide range of smartphones and it’s…
- Samsung Galaxy M31s is a new addition to the Monster M-series by Samsung with large battery life and great overall performance.
- The Redmi Note 9 Pro/Pro Max is a premium-looking phone with a good camera and battery.
- Vivo X50 is a mid-range smartphone with an ultimate camera performance.