Vodafone Idea Launches eSIM Support In India – Limited To iPhones Only
Vodafone Idea is the third telco in India to enable eSIM support. It is available only for iPhone users as of now.
Highlights of the Story
- Vodafone Idea customers on a postpaid plan can move to an eSIM.
- It will soon be available for Samsung Galaxy Z Flip and Galaxy Fold.
Vodafone-Idea is launching e-SIM support for users of Apple iPhones only. They are planning to make it available for other devices as well soon.
This new addition to the services will put away the need for physical SIM cards to access their cellular network. They can now access the network through the integrated SIM chip. As of now, it is only accessible to its postpaid customers from Delhi, Gujarat, and Mumbai.
This service is initially available to the recent iPhone models, with a plan to expand to other phones at a later stage.
Before e-SIM support was possible only via Airtel and Reliance Jio telecom operators. Vodafone Idea, however, did bring an early glimpse at the new experience by announcing a similar approach for Apple smartwatch last month.
This brings the ease of using more than one network simultaneously especially for iPhone users as they don’t have a traditional, dual-SIM card slot.
How to avail it?
You will be required to have an active postpaid connection from the regions mentioned above.
Then, you can avail of eSIM support by sending an SMS message “eSIM email id” at 199. If you don’t have an email ID registered with your mobile number, you are required to send an SMS “email email id” to 199. This will initiate the eSIM registration process.
If it is linked, simply send ‘eSIM (email address)’ to 199. You need to reply back with “ESIMY” to confirm your request. After that, you’ll get another SMS message from 199 asking you to provide consent over a phone call.
A confirmation will then be sent to your email against your eSIM request, containing a single-use QR code.
Now, on your iPhone, go to Settings – Mobile Data – Add Data Plan – Scan QR code. Scan the code that was sent by Vodafone-Idea to your email, and your eSIM services should be activated with this.
Vodafone Idea promises that the eSIM will be successfully activated within two hours post scanning the QR code. It is a single-use QR Code sent via email.
Also read: Smartphone reviews
- Coming straight to the design of the Redmi Note 10 Pro MAX, there is Gorilla Glass 5 both on the front and the back. Although the rear doesn’t appear to be made of glass, it is actually glass. One thing that is amazing here is the fingerprint sensor, which is on the side rather than…
- Read out this to know if a smartphone can replace the DSLR camera. Vivo X60 Pro Plus quick review.
- Avita Liber V14 - This Could Be The Best Laptop Under 50000.
- OPPO Band Style is more like a fitness watch, which appears quite stylish and comes with multiple features.
- Before you buy the POCO X3 Pro in India, you must watch and read this to set the right expectations.