Which Smartphone To Choose If You Love Listening To Music
Smartphones these days are not the same as they were a couple of years ago, they’ve evolved into fully-fledged entertainment systems. Some of the new smartphones in the market also come with support for Dolby Atmos and have HiFi Quad DAC setup, something which was earlier limited to dedicated Audio Setups.
Table Of Contents
- 1Samsung Galaxy S20 Series
- 2LG G8s
- 3Redmi K20 Pro
- 4OnePlus 7T Pro
- 5iPhone 11 Series
- 6Updates :
Highlights of the Story
- Smartphones like the Samsung S20 Series and the OnePlus 7 Pro come with Dolby Atmos support and Dual Speaker setup
- The LG G8s comes with a HiFi Quad DAC setup for extremely high-quality audio output for the users that want nothing but the best
- iPhone 11 comes with the W11 chip that enables automatic and quick pairing with supported wireless audio devices
- Redmi K20 Pro comes with a high-end DAC and a dedicated amplifier supporting for headphones with as much as 600ohms output
iPods and other music players were very common a few years ago, however, with each passing year, the existence of these dedicated portable music players is becoming more questionable. As a matter of fact, there are no mainstream companies making and marketing these portable audio players now.
Smartphones make it easy to download and stream the latest audio from the internet and have enabled more of the world to enjoy music. However, until recent times, most smartphones have had a very basic DAC or Digital Analog Converter and this has resulted in low-quality audio and lack of support for high-end headphones.
The current generation of smartphones are slowly catching up and have started to include higher quality DAC and Amplifiers along with support for built-in stereo speakers to enhance the experience. Here is a list of five such smartphones across different budget options that are the best choice for Music Lovers
Samsung Galaxy S20 Series
The Samsung Galaxy S series has been the industry leader for an Android smartphone for a long time now, other competitors have struggled to reach the quality and have often failed. The Samsung Galaxy S20 is no different.
The device is known for its amazing display quality and camera optics for generations, however, the S20 Ultra does very well in the sound department too. The Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra comes with a 32-bit 384kHz DAC inbuilt.
The audio in the Samsung Galaxy S20 series of smartphones is tuned by AKG for optimum lows and highs. The device also comes with a stereo speaker setup that is loud and support Dolby Atmos for a true surround experience. The Samsung Galaxy S20 series also comes with Bluetooth 5.0 and support for aptX HD enabling high-resolution audio streaming.
The Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra is an all-rounder with Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 processor, 16GB of RAM and 512GB of internal storage. The battery on the device is of 5,000mAh capacity with 45W fast charging making it a perfect choice for media consumption.
- Stereo speakers tuned by AKG for clear audio
- Support for Dolby Atmos for true surround experience on the mobile device
- 32-bit 384kHz DAC making it an industry leader in the smartphone market
- Free AKG tuned headset with much better quality than competitors
- Support for multiple high res Bluetooth streaming formats
Price: Samsung Galaxy S20 (Rs 66,990) Galaxy S20+ (Rs 73,990), and Galaxy S20 Ultra (Rs 92,999)
Also Read: Samsung Galaxy S20 Plus Review
The LG G8S is unquestionably the best choice when it comes to audio experience in the India smartphone market right now. The device comes with a stereo speaker setup, but that isn’t all that makes the smartphone a great hit for music lovers. The LG G8s comes with a 32-bit Quad DAC with support for 192kHz audio.
The device also supports aptX HD for wireless audio over Bluetooth. The device also comes with DTS:X 3D audio and Meridian sound tuning to widen the sound field and echo all emotions as if you were at the stage. Apart from the audio specs, the device is powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 chipset and has 6GB RAM along with 128GB internal storage. The battery on the device is just 3,550mAh and comes with 18W fast charging adhering to QC 3.0 standards.
- Stereo Speakers for loud and clear audio
- Support for DTS:X 3D for a virtual surround effect
- Comes with a Quad DAC for the best quality audio possible
- Support for aptX HD for high-resolution Bluetooth streaming
Price: Rs 39,990
Redmi K20 Pro
The Redmi K20 Pro is the ultimate budget contender in the list and is available for a price of less than Rs 30,000. The smartphone comes with a 24-bit/192kHz DAC onboard. While this is lower than the offerings from the Galaxy S20 Ultra or the LG G8s, a high-resolution dedicated DAC was unseen in this price segment. Also, the Redmi K20 Pro is one of the few smartphones in the market to still have a 3.5mm headphone jack.
The included amplifier in the Redmi K20 Pro allows the device to be connected to some really high-end headphones without the need for an external amplifier. The Redmi K20 Pro is powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 chipset and comes with 8GB or 6GB RAM options and 128GB or 256GB internal storage options, despite the advanced DAC in the smartphone, it only comes with a single speaker setup and is powered by a 4,000mAh battery
- Support for 24-bit/192kHz DAC for uncompressed audio support
- Dedicated WCD9340 Audio Chip for better audio performance
- Supports AAC, LDAC, and aptX HD formats for high res Bluetooth playback
Price: Rs 24,999
Also Read: Xiaomi Redmi K20 Pro Review
OnePlus 7T Pro
The OnePlus 7T Pro is an all-rounder device with good audio specs, the device comes with a stereo speaker setup for good separation of audio. The device doesn’t have any special DAC but comes with support for Dolby Atmos for realistic 3D surround virtually.
The device also supports the most common high res Bluetooth audio streaming codecs for connecting your high-end audio devices wirelessly. The OnePlus 7T pro is powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 855+ chipset and comes with up to 12GB RAM and 256GB internal storage. The device has a 4,085mAh battery with 30W fast charge support ensuring you can consume all the media you want without worrying about the battery
- Stereo speakers for good sound separation across channels
- Support for Dolby Atmos for good 3D virtual surround
- Good overall specs making it an all-rounder
- Support for all major Bluetooth codecs for high res streaming
Price: Rs 52,899
Also Read: OnePlus 7T Pro Review
iPhone 11 Series
The iPhone 11 doesn’t come with any fancy DAC or built-in amplifier, in fact, similar to most other flagship smartphones these days, the iPhone 11 doesn’t even have a 3.5mm headset jack. However, the iPhone 11 comes with iTunes, one of the biggest digital music libraries, this makes it a great choice for most users who have already purchased songs on iTunes or have a monthly subscription for it.
iPhone 11 also comes with a new U1 chipset that is said to improve the Bluetooth connection to AirPods and other supported Bluetooth headsets. With the new U1 chipset in the Apple iPhone 11, it is even easier to connect the smartphone to the compatible headset with fewer steps and in lesser time. The device comes with Stereo speakers that produce decent audio. The iPhone 11 is a good choice for someone looking for a decent smartphone that is simple to use and performs well on the audio front.
- iTunes built-in, one of the largest music directories
- Comes with U1 chip for faster Bluetooth pairing
- Stereo speakers for better audio performance
- Support for most commonly used high-resolution Bluetooth codecs
Price: iPhone 11(Rs 64,900), iPhone 11 Pro (Rs 99,000), and iPhone 11 Pro Max (Rs 1,09,000)
Also Read: iPhone 11 Pro Review
You can share your playlists, ask Siri to control and play the music and search to find songs, albums, artists, playlists, lyrics and more on this device. Even with a heavy price tag, this device assures great sound quality. With superb speakers onboard and wireless audio support, if you are a big fan of music and this brand, this is the right choice to go forward with. Listen to all of your favorite music, discover new songs and listen to them in your iPhone 11 Pro.
- EarPods with Lightning Connector.
- Audio formats supported – AAC‑LC, HE‑AAC, HE‑AAC v2, Protected AAC, MP3, Linear PCM, Apple Lossless, FLAC, Dolby Digital (AC‑3), Dolby Digital Plus (E‑AC‑3), Dolby Atmos and Audible (formats 2, 3, 4, Audible Enhanced Audio, AAX and AAX+).
- Improved Low-level dynamics allowing for extra drama in quieter tracks.
- Spatial audio playback with support for Dolby Atmos.
- User‑configurable maximum volume limit.
- H1 or W1 chip that enables automatic and quick pairing with supported wireless audio devices.
Razer Phone 2
Dolby Stereo speakers, fast refresh 120Hz screen with HDR content support, Chroma lighting, tons of Razer game optimizations and a game boost mode that gives extra power if you need it are the brilliant features that makes you want to dive into this phone. More than a gaming phone, Razer Phone 2 is also up to the mark when it comes to satisfying the needs of an audiophile. The Razer Phone 2 is actually capable of some really impressive sound output.
- Build-in Dolby Atmos.
- Loud music.
- Impressively consistent in loudness in the highs and mids.
- Does a good job at trying to represent bass and lows.
- Relies on a USB-C to 3.5mm audio adaptor.
- Today, we will be talking about the Xiaomi Redmi Note 10T 5G which is the first 5G phone offered by Redmi. However, is this a complete budget package? We will explore the features of this phone to know the answer to this question. Let us start with the design of the Xiaomi Redmi Note 10T…
- OxygenOS has been my favourite Android skin so far since its initial introduction in 2015. It’s been more than 6 years now and I can’t get around with the fact that it will soon be gone. By the next iteration of Android, we might not see OxygenOS, well maybe the name might still survive, but…
- We are going to talk about 5 reasons to buy Tecno Camon 18 in our first impressions, which makes it a great buy for its price point.
- We are going to talk about the 5 reasons why you should buy OnePlus 9R in 2022 at an effective price of Rs 36,999
- There are some things you can do from your end to prevent OnePlus Nord 2 from overheating more than it shouldn’t.